Youth Development Program (YDP)
U5/6, U7/8, U9/10 (small sided games)
- Deadline: August 12 – If your registration form is received after the August 12th deadline, your child will be placed on a waiting list and will not be guaranteed a spot on a team. Please indicate on your registration form any special requests. The director will do his/her best to accommodate these requests (where possible). Please mark an “X” to indicate the size needed for your player on the registration form. Copy of birth certificate needed for new players only.
- Fee: $50 – Fees cover the cost of a soccer jersey, insurance, local and state fees, and SUTL fees.
*** Registration forms WILL NOT be accepted at the Jamboree. ***
Registrations can be turned in at Kicks-N-Sticks prior to the August 12th deadline.
Sporting Goods, Soccer, Hockey, Swimming
342 1st Street, Idaho Falls
NOTE: All ages for YDP will practice and play at Sunnyside Park (one block west of EIRMC hospital) between 5:30–6:30 p.m. (All YDP teams are co-ed.)
All players that are U9 & U10 are required to be at the Sunnyside Fields (one block west of EIRMC hospital) on Tuesday, August 27, @ 7:15–8:30 p.m. Players not attending the jamboree WILL NOT be guaranteed a spot on a team.
U8 Jamboree: All players that are U7 & U8 are required to be at the Sunnyside Fields (one block west of EIRMC hospital) on Thursday, August 29, @ 7:15–8:30 p.m. Players not attending the jamboree WILL NOT be guaranteed a spot on a team.
NEW THIS FALL
U5 & U6—NO JAMBOREE
U5s & U6s will play ONE DAY a week for one hour. The 1st part of the training session will be practice; the 2nd part will be a game. U6s will practice and play on Monday nights ONLY from 5:30–6:30 p.m.
NOTE: Please bring a ball, shin guards, water, and cleats (or tennis shoes).
Advantages of Playing Small-Sided Games
Benefits to the Child:
- More time with the coach
- More practical space to be successful
- Increased number of contacts with the ball
- More actual playing time
- Energetic workouts due to playing both offense and defense
- Required to make more quality decisions
- Experience repeating game situations more frequently
- The work rate and involvement of a player stays consistent
- While learning both offense and defense, a player will become more complete and will understand more readily the roles and importance of teammates
- The smaller ball is lighter and more easily kicked, trapped, dribbled, and passed.
Benefits of the Small Field:
- More efficient use of space
- Games can be played simultaneously across a full size field
- Children are physically more efficient in smaller space
- Takes less time to achieve goal or advance to goal, more successful
- Children are actively involved for a longer period of time
These basic rules apply to players, coaches, parents, and spectators.
- Player Safety
- Player Fun
If you are unsure of your child’s “soccer age,” please check the age chart.
Copy of birth certificate needed for new YDP players only.
YDP season runs from Sept 3-Oct 16
Soccer ball sizes
U6 & U8: Size 3
U10 & U12: Size 4
There are two fields running crossways on fields 1 and 4 (1 is the southernmost and 4 the northernmost field). The fields are painted in yellow.
The boys will usually play on one of the two fields at field 4 but will occasionally play on field 1. The dimensions are approximately 60 yards x 40 yards.
The goals are smaller (5’ by 10’).
We will continue with small sized teams. U6 will play 4-on-4, U8 will play 5-on-5, and U10 will play 7-on-7.
We need coaches! If you would like to volunteer to coach a team please contact Dean Cook.
What is a jamboree?
A jamboree is an event where players play without being coached. These players are evaluated and placed into a variety of skill categories.
The coaches then use these evaluations to create balanced teams.
Practice location & schedule
Practices and games will be from 5:30-6:30 p.m. All YDP games and practices will be held at Sunnyside Park.
We will publish a formal game schedule after the season begins (Sept. 3rd). All YDP games and practices will be held at Sunnyside Park.
Please understand that our uniform is a team jersey. We do not provide socks or shin guards. We will order jerseys for the players using the size
indicated on the registration form. Players will need to bring tennis shoes/cleats, shin guards and a soccer ball.
We will communicate primarily through e-mail and secondarily through the web site. Please don’t forget to put an email address on the